My Shopping List
Most Recent Items:
Pecan Butter Tarts
Courtesy of CanolaInfo
Prep Time: 35 Min.
Cook Time: 20 Min.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 1/2 c. sorghum flour
+ 1/4 c. pecan flour
+ 1/2 c. cornstarch
+ 1/4 c. tapioca starch
+ 1 tsp. granulated sugar
+ 1 tsp. gluten free baking powder
+ 1/2 tsp salt
+ 1 egg yolk
+ 1/4 c. ice water
+ 3 Tbsp. canola oil
+ 2 tsp. cider vinegar
+ 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
+ 2 Tbsp. canola oil
+ 1/4 c. corn syrup
+ 1/3 c. packed brown sugar
+ 1/4 c. coarsely chopped pecans
+ 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
+ 1 egg, slightly beaten
What to do:
1. Pastry: In a food processor fitted with a medal blade, pulse sorghum flour, pecan flour, cornstarch, tapioca starch, sugar, baking powder and salt until mixed. Set aside.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together egg yolk, ice water, canola oil and vinegar. With food processor running, add egg mixture through feed tube in a slow steady stream. Process until dough is just held together. Do not let it form a ball. Gently gather into a ball and flatten into a disc.
3. Place the pastry disc between two sheets of parchment paper. Using quick, firm strokes of the rolling pin, roll out the dough into an 11 in. circle about 1/8 to 1/4 in. thick. Carefully remove the top sheet of parchment paper and cut out tart shells using 4-in. cutter. Ease each into individual cup of muffin or tart tin.
4. Filling: In a bowl, combine butter, canola oil, corn syrup, brown sugar, pecans and vanilla. Mix thoroughly. Add egg and mix just until blended. Spoon filling into unbaked pastry shells filling shells two-thirds full. Bake at 375°F for 15 to 20 min. or until filling is golden brown. Let cool before removing from pan.
* Due to the small quantity of ingredients, it is critical to measure accurately.
* Refrigerate the dough for a few minutes if it becomes sticky.
* If the pastry cracks while you're handling it, don't worry; just use the excess to patch.
* Don't worry about re-rolling the pastry scraps they'll be just as tender the third or fourth time as the first.
* To prevent butter tarts from bubbling over stir filling as little as possible.
* You can freeze the pastry for up to 3 months. Thaw in refrigerator. Bring to room temperature before rolling out.·
* Substitute raisins for the pecans or omit the pecans for a creamier filling.
* For unfilled tart shells: to prevent pastry from shrinking or puffing up, prick bottom and sides with a fork. Bake in preheated oven for 13 to 15 min. at 375°F or until golden. Let cool completely before filling.
Calories: 400; Total Fat: 21g; Saturated Fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 80mg; Total Carbs: 52g; Fiber: 2g; Protein: 4g; Sodium: 290mg;