My Shopping List
Most Recent Items:
Squish Squash Lasagna
Courtesy of Recipes for Healthy Kids Cookbook for Homes
Prep Time: 30 Min.
Cook Time: 1 Hr. 35 Min.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 1/4 tsp. canola oil
+ 3/4 c. fresh onions, peeled, diced
+ 2 tsp. fresh garlic, minced
+ 1 1/2 c. canned low-sodium diced tomatoes
+ 1/4 tsp. dried oregano
+ 1/4 tsp. dried thyme
+ 1/4 tsp. dried basil
+ 8 whole-wheat lasagna sheets, no-boil, 3 1/2 x 7-in. sheets
+ 1 1/4 c. fresh spinach, julienne cut "shoestring strips" 1/8-in.
+ 22 slices fresh butternut squash, peeled, seeded, sliced 1/4-in. (1 medium)
+ 3/4 c. low-fat mozzarella cheese, low moisture, part skim, shredded (3 oz.)
What to do:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Heat canola oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Add onions, and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until tender. Add tomatoes, oregano, thyme, and basil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add 1/2 cup water. Mix well.
3. Divide sauce into 3 equal parts (about 3/4 cup each) and set aside for step 6.
4. Place pasta sheets in a bowl filled with hot water for 5 minutes. Remove sheets as needed to assemble lasagna.
5. Spray bottom and sides of an 8 x 8-in. nonstick baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
6. To Assemble:
a. Place 4 lasagna sheets overlapping, covering the bottom of the pan
b. Cover evenly with about 3/4 cup tomato sauce
c. Spread half of the spinach (about 3/4 cup) evenly over sauce
d. Place 11 slices of squash on top of spinach, slightly overlapping
e. Repeat layering steps a-d
f. Cover with remaining sauce (about 3/4 cup)
Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake at 350°F for 50 minutes or until squash is fork-tender.
7. Remove lasagna from oven. Sprinkle cheese evenly over top.
8. Bake uncovered for 5 minutes or until cheese melts and browns slightly.
9. Remove lasagna from oven and allow to rest for 15 minutes before serving.
10. Cut into 6 even pieces. Serve hot.
For more recipes or information, please visit teamnutrition.usa.gov
Calories: 175; Total Fat: 4g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 8mg; Total Carbs: 29g; Fiber: 5g; Protein: 8g; Sodium: 83mg;